University of Minnesota Press
- The University of Minnesota Press gratefully acknowledges the work of Edward
- Dimendberg, editorial consultant, on this project.
- Unless otherwise credited, photographs and illustrations were created by the
- Copyright 2011 by the Regents of the University of Minnesota
- All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in
- a retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form or by any means, electronic,
- mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without the prior written
- permission of the publisher.
- Published by the University of Minnesota Press
- 111 Third Avenue South, Suite 290
- Minneapolis, MN 55401–2520
- Library of Congress Cataloging-in-Publication Data
- Haar, Sharon.
- The city as campus : urbanism and higher education in Chicago /
- Sharon Haar.
- p. cm.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- ISBN 978-0-8166-6564-8 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- ISBN 978-0-8166-6565-5 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 1. Community and college—Illinois—Chicago. 2. Universities and
- colleges—Illinois—Chicago. 3. Architecture and society—Illinois—
- Chicago. I. Title. II. Title: Urbanism and higher education in Chicago.
- LC238.3.C46H33 2010
- Printed in the United States of America on acid-free paper
- The University of Minnesota is an equal-opportunity educator and employer.
- 18 17 16 15 14 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1