Critical American Studies Series
University of Minnesota Press
- Portions of an earlier version of chapter 2 were published in “‘They’re a Billion Bellies Out
- There’: Commodity Fetishism, the Uber-Oriental, and the Geopolitics of Desire in David
- Henry Hwang’s M. Butterfly,” in Culture, Identity, Commodity: Diasporic Chinese Literatures in
- English, ed. Kam Louie and Tseen Khoo, 59–78 (Hong Kong: Hong Kong University Press).
- Portions of an earlier version of chapter 4 were published in “‘I’m Not Here, If This Doesn’t
- Happen’: The Korean War and Cold War Epistemologies in Susan Choi’s The Foreign Student
- and Heinz Fenkl’s Memories of My Ghost Brother,” Journal of Asian American Studies 11, no. 3
- (2008): 279–302; copyright The Johns Hopkins University Press; reprinted with permission of
- The Johns Hopkins University Press; and as “An ‘Orphan’ with Two Mothers: Transnational
- and Transracial Adoption, the Cold War, and Contemporary Asian American Cultural
- Politics,” American Quarterly 61, no. 4 (2009): 855–80; copyright The Johns Hopkins University
- Press; reprinted with permission of The Johns Hopkins University Press.
- In chapter 4, excerpts from the poem “Fragments of the Forgotten War,” by
- Suji Kwock Kim, are reprinted by permission of Louisiana State University Press.
- Copyright 2010 by the Regents of the University of Minnesota
- All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval
- system, or transmitted, in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying,
- recording, or otherwise, without the prior written permission of the publisher.
- Published by the University of Minnesota Press
- 111 Third Avenue South, Suite 290
- Minneapolis, MN 55401–2520
- Library of Congress Cataloging-in-Publication Data
- Kim, Jodi.
- Ends of empire : Asian American critique and the Cold War / Jodi Kim.
- p. cm. — (Critical American Studies)
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- ISBN 978–0–8166–5591–5 (hc : alk. paper) — ISBN 978–0–8166–5592–2 (pb : alk. paper)
- 1. Asian Americans—History. 2. Asian Americans—Ethnic identity. 3. Asian
- Americans—Politics and government. 4. Asians in literature. 5. Asians in motion pictures.
- 6. Cold War. 7. United States—Foreign relations—Asia. 8. Asia—Foreign relations—
- United States. I. Title.
- E184.A75K54 2010
- Printed in the United States of America on acid-free paper
- The University of Minnesota is an equal-opportunity educator and employer.
- 18 17 16 15 14 13 12 11 10 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1